See all engines working during the June family open day at The Waterworks Museum blacksmith demonstration in Hereford.
This is a unique opportunity to see and talk to skilled local Blacksmiths and to find out more about their functional, decorative and sculptural products, artefacts and skills. Also a first visit to the Waterworks Museum from a Museum that is just over the border in Wales and another hidden gem the National Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells.
he Waterworks Museum traces the history of drinking water from the cave-dwellers up to the present day through wonderful working engines, superb display panels, guidebooks and films and the knowledge shared by the Museum’s volunteers. Classified by English Heritage as “a site of clear national importance”, the Museum is home to the oldest working triple-expansion steam engine in the UK and probably has the widest range of working pumps and engines.
The Noel Meeke Heritage Water Park is unique in the UK and is aimed primarily at young people but ALL visitors are encouraged to enter and have a go with the historic water devices. Here visitors can interact with full-size devices for lifting, pumping, moving and filtering water which have been used down the generations. In a totally safe environment children can have immense fun and learn at the same time the difficulties of obtaining water in days gone by.
Dogs will be permitted in the museum grounds providing they are on a leash and do not disturb other visitors (but, except for assistance dogs, not in the Museum building or in the Heritage Water Park).
Further details for events/open days in 2020
• The Museum is open every Tuesday from 11am – 4pm. New in 2020: Between April – October additional engines can be seen in
operation (but not the steam engines).
• On a family open-day the Museum is open from 12-4pm, with all engines working from 1pm.
• FREE ADMISSION FOR: (i) Visitors under 16; (ii) Essential carers attending with a disabled visitor; (iii) Museum Members.
• New for 2020: Buy an Annual Adult Pass at Reception (£10) and gain 12 months’ free admission from date of purchase
• The children’s Heritage Water Park will normally be open between March and October 2020.
• Please monitor the Museum website and Facebook/Twitter for possible other special attractions on family open-days.
Learn more about Hereford